TEV – PD Detection
Partial discharge activity inside metal clad high voltage plant induces small voltage impulses called Transient Earth Voltages on the surface of the metal panels. TEVs travel around the surface to the outside of the switchgear where they can be picked up externally using capacitively coupled transducers.
AE – PD Detection
Defects on the surface of high voltage insulators are prone to a phenomenon called ‘tracking’. Tracking causes carbon deposits to build up over time and ultimately leads to flashover and insulation failure. The PD Detector is highly sensitive to the ultrasonic emissions produced by tracking and enables any on-set to be detected before insulation failure occurs.
Advantages of the PD Detector
- Rapidly survey whole substation – detects MV and HV problems before they occur
- Remote Data Storage – ensure all data is recorded from each site test
- Trend – log the PD against individual assets and view data from each test ever conducted
- Advanced Noise Rejection – system detects PD in higher noise environments, no more false positives
- Central data collection – all data stored on central server for analysis